AC Warning Signs
5 Warning Signs Your AC Isn’t Running Efficiently
We are in the thick of the summer heat! There’s nothing worse than facing uncomfortable heat and humidity when your air conditioner suddenly gives out on a hot, July day. Luckily, your AC unit will usually let you know before it gives out completely. Here are five warning signs your AC isn’t running efficiently and may need a repair this cooling season:
1. Warm Air Blowing Out of Your Home’s Vents
If your thermostat is set to cooling mode and you notice your air conditioner suddenly blowing warm air instead of cold, that can indicate a range of issues with your system. It could mean a broken compressor or refrigerant leak. No matter the case, call an HVAC professional to properly diagnose your problem before your AC sustains more damage.
2. Bad Odors When Running When your air conditioner turns on, does it make your home smell funky? Is the smell pungent? This could mean that wire insulation in the system is burned and needs replaced. Does it smell like exhaust or gas? This can indicate a fluid leak. Does it smell like dirty feet? This could be mildew or fungus growing near your equipment. Whatever the smell, don’t ignore it. Fortunately, a quick diagnostic visit will allow an HVAC professional to know if your air conditioner needs a tune-up and a complete cleaning session or if it needs a more high-tech solution.
3. Unusual Noises: Banging, Clanging, Squealing, or Whistling Most air conditioners make low-level noise as they start up and shut down. Any loud, sudden, or new and unusual noise can signal BIG problems with your cooling system. Banging and clanging noises can indicate a loose part, while whistling might indicate a refrigerant leak. Any grinding sound can signal something more serious. Air conditioners are complex machines with a lot of moving parts, so they all will make at least some noise. But if the sounds are strange, you’re smart to be proactive and schedule air conditioning service.
4. Moisture or Puddles of Water Around the AC Equipment Sometimes moisture suggests a minor issue, like something blocking the drain tube. This isn’t an emergency, but you will want to fix it to avoid creating an environment for mold growth. If you notice a large amount of water pooled around the outside of the unit it could indicate a serious issue like a refrigerant leak. Refrigerant is significantly hazardous; therefore, a professional should handle it to protect your health and safety.
5. Surprisingly High Electricity Bills/Sudden Spikes in Utility Bills Keep a close eye on your utility bills, especially if you rely on auto-pay/auto-draft. If your utility bills have begun to skyrocket for no apparent reason, it is likely an indication that your system is no longer running efficiently. This could be due to broken parts or leaks that need to be repaired, or it could simply be a sign that a tune-up is necessary.
Don’t wait to tackle air conditioner repairs. If you are experiencing any of the following issues with your air conditioner, make sure to call your local HVAC professionals at Broadway Heating and Cooling LLC today at (224)-430-7353. Our team will find the source of the problem and recommend a solution that will keep your family cool and comfortable for the remaining summer season.
Remember, scheduling an air conditioning tune-up each year will allow us to address potential problems and help you avoid more costly repairs. *Check out our google reviews to see how Broadway Heating and Cooling customers really feel!*